21 May 2011

Pirates of the Caribbean 4 or how much I like guys who wear lots of black eyeliner

The much anticipated (at least by yours truly) new installment in the successful Disney franchise opened this weekend to a mix bag of good and bad reviews. Ebert hated it…. most of my friends who are fans seemed to like it. The movie is certainly more subdued than the previous ones and at times there was a lull in the action that seemed just too long to me. The story was good but Barbosa seemed subdued and I was disappointed with Ian McShane’s Blackbeard. C’mon, Keith Richard’s cameo was more fun to watch! I would have expected Blackbeard to be a bit more flamboyant or paranoid, given the circumstances. Not as much as Jack or Barbosa but certainly more lively. No one likes a brooding pirate, ya know? I loved the Mermaid sequence, they are certainly nasty little *itches when the need arises, though I bet more than a few men in the audience would gladly be kidnapped by those girls. Johnny was wonderful as always, flamboyant, funny and almost gets a love interest, though the story line is left open. I really like the chemistry between him and Penelope (who I hate for being so gorgeous……j/k), and would like to see her back in another Pirates movie, if the bad reviews don’t kill the series, that is. Like I say, good overall, but a bit slow….
Grade 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment